TennCan Training Day
Saturday, August 11, 2018
(note change of date!)
9 am to 4 pm CST
Belmont United Methodist Church
2007 Acklen Ave.
Nashville, TN 37212 (map)
Join local experts and advocates for an intensive one-day workshop in Nashville to train volunteers, organize teams and hone strategies leading up to the 2019 legislative session. We'll offer resources, expertise and guidance in:
- Understanding the need for, benefits of and real-world operations of the proposed Tennessee deposit-return bill.
- Understanding the importance of a fact-based, honest, consistent and respectful message.
- Forming diverse and well-informed TennCan teams in all legislative districts.
- Seeking endorsements from the broad range of constituencies whose support carries weight with legislators: businesses of all sizes, professional associations, farmers and farm bureaus, churches, chambers of commerce, sportsmen, tourism councils, civic organizations, nonprofits and social-service agencies (especially those serving youth, veterans, people with special needs, the elderly and the homeless), as well as those not traditionally seen as allies of deposits: craft breweries, wineries and distilleries, grocers and some recyclers.
- Seeking resolutions of support from county commissions, city councils and other local legislative bodies.
- Meeting with editorial boards, submitting op-eds and seeking endorsements and feature stories from local media.
- Sitting down with incumbent legislators and legislative candidates to discuss the benefits of the TennCan proposal and ask their commitment to vote for the bill in 2019.
- And much more!
We may pass the hat at the event, but we're hoping to offer this workshop for free, thanks to donations from supportive businesses and organizations. If you know of a company or group who believes in a sustainable economy and would like to be recognized (or kept anonymous) as a cosponsor of this event, please contact Marge Davis at (615) 294-2651 or email@example.com, or note this information in the form below.