TennCan Training Day
Join national experts and fellow advocates
for a day of instruction, coordination and motivation
Saturday, July 14, 2018,
9 am to 4 pm, CST
Belmont United Methodist Church
2007 Acklen Ave.
Nashville, TN 37212 (map)
Susan V Collins
Container Recycling Institute
Culver City, California
Join deposit-return advocates from across the state (and from some surrounding states seeking their own DR system) for a day-long workshop to train volunteers, organize teams and hone strategies. We'll offer resources and expert guidance in:
- Understanding the need for, benefits of and real-world operations of the proposed Tennessee deposit-return bill.
- Understanding the importance of a fact-based and consistent message.
- Forming diverse and well-informed TennCan teams in every legislative district.
- Seeking endorsements from the myriad of constituencies whose support carries weight with legislators: businesses of all sizes, churches, chambers of commerce, professional associations, farmers and farm bureaus, sportsmen, tourism councils, civic organizations, craft breweries, wineries and distilleries, grocers, recyclers, social-service agencies (especially that serve youth, veterans, people with special needs, the elderly and the homeless) and of course lots of environmental groups, outdoor clubs and individuals.
- Seeking resolutions of support from county commissions and city councils.
- Meeting with editorial boards, submitting op-eds and seeking endorsements from local media.
- Sitting down with incumbent legislators and legislative candidates to discuss the benefits of the TennCan proposal, point out the extent of local support and ask their commitment to vote for the bill in 2019.
- And much more!
We may pass the hat at the event, but we're pretty sure we can offer this workshop for free, thanks to donations from businesses across the state and beyond. If you know of a company or manufacturer that believes in a sustainable economy and would like to be recognized as a supporter of this event (NOTE: we can do anonymous, too), please note this in the form below, or contact Marge Davis at (615) 294-2651 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Use this form (one form per person, please) to register for the workshop,
and to indicate if you'll need lodging; we'll do our best to put you up in local homes.